If the funky lineup of tonight’s Thursdays on First doesn’t pack enough edge for you, rejoice, for 10 Years invades the Wicked Moose with a horde of nu-metal at their back starting at 9 p.m.
10 Years specializes in pulverizing riffs and vocals that can make a quick pivot from sung to screamed. Their sound recalls early Deftones, but with less-cryptic lyrics and a touch more melody. The music video for their latest single, “Miscellena,” is up now on 10yearsmusic.com.
Longtime nu-metal standard-bearers Nonpoint will join 10 Years at the Moose for Thursday. Their name actually jumped out to me first from the list of performers thanks to the strange plot twists of their 2001 single, “What A Day,” which have been bouncing around in my memories since ninth grade. The band was in Rochester this spring, touring in support of their latest album, “The Return,” which you can sample at the band’s website, nonpoint.com.
York, UK band The Family Ruin (facebook.com/TheFamilyRuin) will also be on hand, supplying a heavy dose of their groove-infused, Avenged Sevenfold- and Def Leopard-influenced music. Awaken the Empire rounds out the bill with their Seattle-based metal. Their website, awakentheempire.com, features a handful of music videos, all showcasing the band’s wild melange of synthesizers, distorted guitars, and rhythmic elements. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at tempotickets.com/event/j2vnWF.
On Friday, Celtic folk and rock act Hair of the Dog will take the stage at Kathy’s to kick off the weekend proper. You can check out their sound at hair-of-the-dog.com. The next night, Saturday, Dead Larry will bring its spaced-out, galactically-inspired material to the stage. You can take a look at their music video for “Never Made it to Space” at deadlarry.org.
If your dancing shoes still have any sole left over, local cover band Smash & Grab will finish it off Sunday night at Kathy’s. Expect to hear classic cuts by acts such as 4 Non-Blondes, “Down Under” by Men at Work, and a host of Bruno Mars selections. You can check out the band’s Facebook page, facebook.com/SmashAndGrabBand, to get a better idea of what’s in store.
• Tracy Sonnier plays the Redwood Room on Thursday from 7 p.m. to midnight.
• The Midwest Jam Collective extends tonight’s Thursdays on First music at Kathy’s Pub.
• This week’s installment of music on the patio of the Rochester Civic Theatre is a jazz jam with an open call for musicians. The patio opens for mingling and dining at 4 p.m. Friday, with music beginning at 5:30 p.m.
• Sothea Lam, lead singer of Push & Turn, is back at the Wicked Moose’s acoustic stage on Friday night. He’ll play from 9 until midnight.
• Driven by Rhythm plays the Redwood Room on Saturday and Sunday from 7 p.m. to midnight.
• Connor Wondrasch will play Kinney Creek’s Taproom on Saturday night from 8 until 11.