The weekend kicks off when the funky rock stylings and deep space musings of Dead Larry hit Kathy’s Pub on Friday night.
The band’s spaced-out approach to rock music means you’ll find harmonies, screams, basslines full of funk, and thoughts about eternity all mixed into the same track. Check out the songs streaming at deadlarry.org for a clearer picture.
On Saturday night, the New Standards trio hit the Mayo Civic Center for an evening of rollicking holiday festivities. The group is something of a Minnesota dream-team, with members of Semisonic, the Suburbs, and Trip Shakespeare, and they promise to bring more special guests with them (local blues matron Annie Mack has already confirmed her participation in the event’s Facebook comments).
Their annual set here is quickly becoming an annual Rochester tradition (this is its third year), so get your tickets while you can. For more, head over to the event’s Facebook page, facebook.com/events/1173482435998690.
Elsewhere on Saturday, many of this column’s usual suspects are donating their musical prowess to Play It Forward 2015, an all-day event benefiting Toys for Tots of Southeastern Minnesota.
JT & The Gunslingers, Push & Turn, Diesel Drive, Betsy & the Mongrels, Booksie & The Pages, and Lucid Flight have all pledged their time for the event, which also includes silent auctions, bucket raffles, and an appearance by Santa himself. The event kicks off at 11 a.m., with music going from 2 p.m. until 1:30 a.m. the next morning. Tickets are $10 and purchaseable at www.tempotickets.com/event/3Nvqtw, where you can also see a schedule of performers.
If you can’t make the event but want to donate, shoot an e-mail to email@example.com with the subject “Play It Forward Donations.”
On Tuesday evening, the Taphouse hosts its final solo performance by Tony Chuchetti, vocalist and guitarist for Florida-based bluesy folk band the Afterwhile, from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m. Expect airy vocals paired with melodies capable of following you home, as well as a sense of sadness that Chuchetti and his band probably won’t be back around until the flowers have all bloomed again. In the meantime, check out some of the material available for streaming on the Afterwhile’s website, theafterwhile.com.
• On Friday night, the Half Barrel Bar & Kitchen welcomes the Miles Johnston Trio for some jazz standards and bossa nova from 8 p.m. until 11 p.m.
• Sounds of soft rock courtesy of Costello & Hipps ring through the Canadian Honker on Friday night from 7:30 until 10:30.
• Johnny Holm is at Wicked Moose on Friday night from 9 until 11, while Jason McKenzie plays the acoustic stage
• The CBB Jazz Combo plays the Canadian Honker on Saturday from 7:30 p.m. until 10:30 p.m. You can check out Kim Zabel’s interview with the group’s singer, Linda Klein Theisen, here: tinyurl.com/nouqa6e.
• Nite Shift roars into the North Star Bar on Saturday night starting around 8.
• Tim Fast plays Forager on Wednesday night from 8 until 11.
• On Wednesday night, Wisconsin-bred Americana/indie act Old Soul Society plays Kathy’s Pub from 9 to midnight.