Joel Ward’s Theraputic Thursdays continue at Forager Brewery this week. The smoky-voiced singer’s earnest combination of blues and folk with a dash of soul is sure to help overcome any shoveling woes you’ve accumulated this week, but if you need early relief, you can access his music at reverbnation.com/joelward. He plays from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.
The Wicked Moose brings the blues in a major way on Friday night from 7 until 10:30, with Blues from Behind the Cheddar Curtain. A host of Wisconsinite blues practitioners are slated to perform, including The Blues Disciples, Reverend Raven and the Chainsmokin’ Altar Boys, and Howard “Guitar” Luedke and Blue Max. Tickets are $15 and doors open at 6:30 p.m.
JT and the Gunslingers return to one of their home stages on Friday night at the North Star Bar starting around 9. As always, the band is sure to bring plenty of attitude and authentic country tunes with them. From singer JT’s open-book lyrics to the band’s rollicking rhythm section, this is one of Rochester’s most original acts. Head over to their website, jtgunslingers.com, and make sure to download their latest single, “Our Town.”
Exotic rockers Ivy Stone and Heavy Craft invade Kathy’s Pub from 9 p.m. until midnight on Friday. Ivy Stone hails from North Carolina and brings a wild, funk-infused rock sound that is aided by the raw vocal stylings of Beau Lastavich, a onetime contestant on “American Idol.” You can check out most of the group’s discography, including their debut album, “Bad Voodoo,” at their website, ivystonetheband.com.
The legendary, lightning-fast fingers of folk idol Leo Kottke come to the Sheldon Theatre in Red Wing on Saturday. Tickets are $27 and available at www.sheldontheatre.org/events/Loekottke2015. The show begins at 7 p.m.
After the weekend comes to a conclusion, you still have a chance to get some live tunes in your ears, as Tuesday night finds Thomas and the Rain playing Forager Brewery from 8 until 11. Wednesday night brings another installment of Charlie’s Eatery’s weekly bluegrass series from 7 to 10.
• The American Legion’s excellent jukebox gets a break from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. when The Lost Faculties play on Friday night.
• A trio of D’Sievers, namely Jon Davis on piano, Mike Sloan on bass, and John Sievers on trombone, hit the Half Barrel on Friday night from 8 to 11.
• The Gopher Tones bring their sound to Boomer’s Lounge from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. on Friday.
• Flashback hits the VFW on Friday night from 8 to midnight.
• The Canadian Honker welcomes Greg Boerner and his blues, country, roots rock, and folk to the stage on Friday and Saturday from 7:30 p.m. until 10:30 p.m.
• The folk rock duo Moors & McCumber hit Crossings at Carnegie in Zumbrota on Saturday starting at 7:30 p.m.
• Group Therapy hits the North Star Bar on Saturday night starting around 8.
• Strange Daze comes to Kathy’s Pub from 9 to midnight on Saturday.
Bryan Lund is a Rochester freelance writer.