At 8 p.m. Thursday, the Doggery hosts Fred the Bear for some pretense-free alt-rock straight outta Rochester. The band’s Reverbnation page, reverbnation.com/fredthebear, features some of their original music to stream. “I Used to Dream,” has some strong Tom Petty vibes going on, while “Within the Black Keys” gets introspective without getting boring, thanks to a driving bassline and well-timed harmonizing.
At 9:30 on Friday night, the North Star Bar recruits Hair Metal Radio for a gnarly montage of ’80s hits. Band members Jimi Van Whalen, Nikki Stix, Axl Sinatra and Jizzy Straddlin’ play songs by acts like Warrant, Judas Priest, Billy Idol, Motley Crue and Ratt, among others. Get a gist of their setlist at Hairmetalradioband.com, and while you’re at it, click over to their Facebook page for some VHS footage of their old shows.
Buck Hollow hits the Eagles Club from 7 until 11 on Friday night. They have been playing shows for over 25 years, but this is their first set at the Eagles Club. They play classic and modern country, as well as a few waltzes and polkas and smatterings of Elvis, Buddy Holly and other classic party songs. For more, take a look at their website, buckhollowband.com.
The party starts at 8 on Friday night at Thyme Restaurant, where Steven J. Schmidt celebrates the release of his new album, “Heartland” with an acoustic performance. His website, stevenjschmidt.net, can give you more information.
At 9:45 on Friday night, Kathy’s Pub gets down n’ dirty with some bluegrass courtesy of Flash in a Pan. Their website, flashinapanband.com, has a stream of some of their music, including the washboard-utilizing, paranoia-inducing “Tracking Me.”
If you were a big fan of the VH1 storytellers programs back in the day, you might want to free up your schedule from 3 to 7 on Saturday afternoon, when Studio 5 hosts traditional Irish band Ravensfire for a performance. The band just returned from a tour of pubs in Ireland and they have stories to tell. For a sample of the band’s sound, point your browser to Theravensfireband.com.
At 9:45 on Saturday night, look for Goodcat at Kathy’s Pub. Hailing from Des Moines, Iowa, the band blends folk, funk and jam styles into a sprawling sound that will sound right at home on the Kathy’s stage. They have made a chunk of their catalog available for streaming on their Bandcamp page, goodcat.bandcamp.com.
• 6 this evening sees the return of Cole Allen to the Loop for some acoustic blues-rock.
• Joel Ward’s Theraputic Thursdays continue at Forager Brewery tonight from 8 to 11.
• Mitch Branby’s earnest tunes about love, loss and redemption hit Cafe Steam at 7 p.m. Friday.
• Costello & Hipps play soft rock at the Canadian Honker on Friday night starting at 7:30.
• At 7:30 on Saturday evening, the Honker gets Fair Trade’s blues, jazz and folk.
• Next 2 Nothing returns to the North Star Bar on Saturday night for some homegrown, true-school rock.
• Thomas and the Rain play a Tuesday night show at Forager Brewery from 8 to 11, just like they do every Tuesday.