*On Friday night, the big story is Cloud Cult and Enemy Planes at the Rochester Civic Center. Both bands are Rochester favorites with long track records of wowing audiences here.
Between Cloud Cult’s combination of spiritually-aware experimental chamber rock with live painting and Enemy Planes’ ethereal “tripnotic” music, it’s hard to imagine anyone leaving unmoved. Tickets are $25 and available on Ticketmaster.
*Minneapolis alt rockers Cold Kingdom plays Wicked Moose on Friday night at 9. Led by the dynamic vocal talent and teal-haired lead singer Dani, the band’s emotional rock follows in the footsteps of acts like Cold andPuddle of Mudd, the latter of which Cold Kingdom opened for. The music video for their latest single, “Crash Poet,” is up on the band’s website. Tickets are $8 and available online.
*Winona-based act Mudcat and The Bottom Feeders hits Boomer’s Loungeat 9 p.m. on Friday for some original, Upper Mississippi-style Americana and rock. The band plays original tunes as well as covers by heavyweights like Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Police, and Peter Gabriel.
*Shady Roadhouse hits Kathy’s Pub on Friday night. The band is comprised of members from Rowdy Shadehouse, a funk-rock outfit from Denver, Colo. You can get some idea of what to expect on their website, though at least some deviation from the norm is inevitable.
*On Saturday night, Kathy’s provides the city with an aural buffet of bands with showcases on the first and second floor stages. On the first floor, it’s a full-blown Twin Cities invasion starting at 9:30 p.m., with Sexycake, Laura Lou, and The Wrong Omar performing.
Upstairs, things get heavy with a quartet of local metal acts. Chorder, Upon His Flesh, Amiensus, and Fail to Decay start bringing the ruckus and banging heads at 9:45 p.m.
Local act Chorder plays a sub-genre of progressive metal called “Djent,” Upon His Flesh plays death metal, Amiensus gets into atmospheric and post-black metal, and Fail To Decay plays regular old rock ‘n’ roll.
• Hair of the Dog howls its way onto the Doggery’s stage tonight from 8 to 11.
• Soulful blues man Joel Ward plays Forager Brewery tonight starting at 8, just like he does every Thursday, as part of his ongoing Theraputic Thursdays.
• Greg Boerner’s blues, folk, country, and rootsy rock ‘n’ roll hits the Canadian Honkeron Friday and Saturday night from 7:30 to 10.
• The Lost Faculties play the VFW on Friday night starting at 8.
• Four Daughters Winery invites classical guitarist Christopher Rude for solo instrumental arrangements of jazz, classical, folk, and Spanish tunes on Saturday afternoon starting at 4:30.
• Bar music cover band The Chubs come through Whistle Binkies North on Saturdaynight from 9:30 until half-past midnight.
• Kinney Creek Brewery hosts Gideon’s Radio on Saturday night starting at 7.
• On Tuesday night, Thomas & The Rain play Forager Brewery from 8 to 11.