The local beer scene in Rochester is hopping (pardon the pun). Part of the fun of the local brewery isn’t just the beer, though, it’s getting to know the people and stories that bring the community together to hoist a few pints.
You may already know that Freedom Scotch Ale is a flagship at Grand Rounds, that LTS stands for “Life’s Too Short,” that Forager’s head brewer Austin Jevne previously worked at Rush River, and that Kinney Creek helped to pave the trail for breweries in the area. Here’s some trivia to truly test your knowledge of local beer.
1. Hawaii 507 at Grand Rounds is a beer featuring what adjunct ingredient?
2. This brewery opened in 1996 and shares a name with a brewery founded in 1857.
B. Kinney Creek
3. What historic Rochester brewer closed in 1920?
A. John Ferber
B. Schuster Brewing Co.
C. Yoerg Brewing
4. What bar was the first to sell Kinney Creek beers?
A. The Thirsty Belgian
B. Whistle Binkies on the Lake
C. Kathy’s Pub
D. Glynner’s Pub
5. What is the best selling beer at LTS?
A. Inspiration American IPA
B. FUN Belgian-style Blond
C. Oatmeal Stout
D. Karma Kölsch
6. What happened to Numero Uno, the first batch of beer ever brewed at LTS?
A. It sold out on the first day
B. It was dumped down the drain
C. It was put into bourbon barrels to be aged and released on a future anniversary
D. It was renamed and is now their best selling beer
7. What is the former job of Grand Rounds’ head brewer Steve Finney?
B. Computer Programmer
C. Construction Worker
D. Physical Therapist
8. LTS uses the most of this hop variety in their brewing.
D. El Dorado
9. The head brewer here has a black belt in Judo.
B. Grand Rounds
C. Kinney Creek
10. This brewpub had a five-year run in the 1990s in downtown Rochester.
A. Clubhaus Brewpub
B. Water Tower Brewing Co.
C. Granite City Food & Brewery
D. Olmsted Beer
11. What brewery’s first beer was named Opener IPA?
A. Red Wing
B. Grand Rounds
D. Kinney Creek
12. Before Forager opened, head brewer Austin Jevnes worked as bartender at which Rochester bar?
A. Whistle Binkies Olde World Pub
B. The Tap House
C. The Thirsty Belgian
D. Newt’s Downtown
1 B 2 C 3 B 4 D 5 A 6 B
7 D 8 C 9 B 10 A 11 D 12 C