The master bedroom in our home is fairly large, a dream for most homeowners, right? Well, that’s not always the case. Though large, the room presented a lot of unused space. Our issue was, despite the expansive room, we had very minimal closet space. We had so little, in fact, my husband had to use the guest room across the hall to store his clothes while I used the small closet in the master along with a dresser.
After contemplating what to do with the vacant zone taking up about one-third of the room and considering our lack-of-closet space conundrum, an idea came to mind: What if we demolished the current closet, built a wall to close off that part of the room, and created a walk-in closet?
My husband thought I was crazy and pointed out that by building a wall we’d be blocking a window in the room.
My solution? Have the door open directly in front of the window and use a door that had a glass pane on top to let light shine through. He couldn’t argue with that.
And so the project began!
The first step was to demo the existing closet, rip up the carpet, and start with a clean slate with the space.
The second step was to build the frame for the closet followed by hanging drywall. To save money, we tackled all the above DIY style.
From there, we hired someone to do the mudding, taping, (this included scraping and refinishing the ceiling) and electrical work.
After that, it was back to DIY. Our ideal plan was to keep the original wood flooring we found underneath the carpet, but it was damaged beyond repair, so we installed laminate flooring instead. We also took on the painting, trim install, closet system configuration and install, and finally the door install.
The door was an original storm door on my grandpa’s house that had been used as yard décor in my mom’s garden. She was generous enough to give it to us knowing it was just what we were after for to enclose our closet. We cut it to size, painted it and hung it on sliding door tracks.
The last part of the project came down to organizing and accessorizing. To make things orderly and easy-to-find, I opted for a variety of bins and baskets rounded up from around the house, chalkboard labels and matching no-slip hangers. Adding a rug, floor mirror and an assortment of décor items completed the project.
The bedroom is now better suited for our needs and we have more closet space than we know what to do with!
For more details plus sources, visit Jeanette’s blog.