The Colonial house style developed during the U.S. Colonial period of the 1700s. Several types of Colonial homes have evolved from the original style, but their symmetrical forms and distinct details remain in the ones we often see in the area today.
Here are the common identifying features of a Colonial-style house:
• Entry door in middle of house
• Symmetrical arrangement of multi-pane windows
• Minimum of two windows on either side of the entry door and usually five windows on the second floor with one being directly above the door
• Two to three stories high
• Typically accommodates a medium to large family
• Medium to steep pitched roof